The Advanced Choir
is the highest level choir (typically 9th through 12th grades) at the Tucson Girls Chorus. Members of the Advanced Choir have all participated in another choir within the Tucson Girls Chorus for a minimum of one full year.
Rehearsals: Thursdays, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Musical concepts include (but not limited to):
- Identification and sight-singing of all intervals using all twelve pitches
- Singing of 2-8 part music
- Continued development of vocal technique, breath control, and effective rehearsal techniques
- Members of the Advanced Choir assume more individual responsibilities within the Tucson Girls Chorus including:
- Mentoring younger singers at TGC through a variety of activities, such as regularly attending and participating in the younger choir rehearsals
- Maintaining the TGC music library and cataloging new music as it is purchased
- Hosting open houses for TGC
- Representing TGC and performing at our Spring Fundraiser, "Duets and Dinner"
- Being Ambassadors of Tucson while on concert tours.
- Taking part of the yearly strategic planning of the Tucson Girls Chorus
ADVANCED CHOIR CD RECORDING PROJECT
During one week in June 2012, the Advanced Choir spent 30 hours at Holsclaw Hall at the University of Arizona and at Casas Adobes UCC Church recording music for a CD to be released in the Fall of 2012. On this CD is a work composed specifically for the Tucson Girls Chorus by composer Frank LaRocca
Composer Frank LaRocca at the Advanced Choir Recording Project
The Advanced Choir participates in tours lasting 10-20 days each year in the late spring. The choir has traveled both nationally and internationally.
The Advanced Choir has visited
- 2007 Boston
- 2008 Austria, the Czech Republic, and Germany
- 2009 Philadelphia, New Jersey, and New York City (performing at Carnegie Hall)
- 2010 Alaska, Seattle and Vancouver CA
- 2011 Midwest: St. Louis, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago
- 2012 Argentina: Buenos Aries, Mar del Plata
- 2013 San Francisco
- 2014 Pittsburgh, Niagara Falls, Toronto
- 2015 China
On tour, the girls assume responsibilities such as managing their own time and finances, navigating (always in groups) around unfamiliar towns and cities, and being respectful guests while staying with host families.
FROM THE 2014 PITTSBURGH, NIAGARA FALLS, AND TORONTO TOUR
FROM THE 2012 ARGENTINA TOUR